Summer Time and Essential Oils
Summer is in the air, and this full-time RV family is SO grateful for it. I do love the seasons, but winter comes as a price when you live in an RV...so Summer is always full of adventure for us. And now that we're here, I thought I'd share some summer time and essential oil favorites along with some important tips and info.
In this blog I'll give you some favorite essential oil-infused summertime treats for both kids and adults (because yes, please), a couple of essential oil blends, and which EOs to be aware of due to their photo sensitivities. Enjoy!
Favorite Summer Time Essential Oil Infused Treats
One thing I love about essential oils is how versatile they are....and even more so with doTERRA's oils. Because of how pure and safe these essential oils are, we are able to ingest them which makes summertime treats fun AND good for you! Here are some of our family favorites.
Citrus Coconut Popsicle
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup agave or sweetener of choice
- 1-2 drops Lim Essential Oil
- Blend coconut milk, agave & lime oil
- Pour mixture into the popsicle mold, divide evenly and leave some space
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes
- Take out and top with orange juice
- Freeze again with popsicle sticks until firm
Strawberry Lemon Smoothie
- 3/4 cup of vanilla yogurt (dairy-free works too)
- 1/2 cup of milk of choice
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1-2 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse together until desired texture
- Add more liquid if desired
- Serve immediately
- Makes 1 smoothie
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Cointreau
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1 1/2 cups club soda
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1-2 oranges, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 lime all sliced
- 2 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil
- 1 drop Lime Essential Oil
- Mix sugar, essential oils, and Cointreau in a pitcher until sugar is dissolved
- Add the wine, club soda, and fruit
- Chill for about an hour before serving
- 3 mint leaves, plus additional for garnish
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) lime juice
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) maple syrup
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) white rum
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) soda water
- 1 drop Spearmint Essential Oil
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the mint leaves with the lime juice, Spearmint, and syrup
- Add the rum and fill the cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until cold.
- Place ice into a glass, and strain the liquid
- Top off the glass with soda water. Garnish with additional mint leaves
Favorite Summer Time Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
I'm an advocate for making life easier. Diffusing essential oils is the easiest way to bring the summer sunshine indoors to uplift the mood and even cleanse the air! Here are a couple of my favorite diffuser blends.
- 1 drop Spearmint
- 1 drop Bergamot
- 3 drops Tangerine
- 4 drops Lime
- 2 drops Citrus Bliss
- 3 drops Grapefruit
Photosensitive Essential Oils
Of course, summer is all fun and games...however, I want to be a responsible essential oil educator here. There are some essential oils that we need to be aware of when it comes to the sun. Here is a list of oils that are photosensitive and may cause burning if applied topically before being in the sun.
List of photosensitive oils:
- Wild Orange
- Slim & Sassy
- Aroma Touch
- Citrus Bliss
- Citrus Bloom
- On Guard
When these oils are exposed to direct sunlight and UV rays, it can cause photo-sensitivities to the skin. Avoid direct sunlight, including tanning beds, for at least 12 hours after application to skin.
I hope all of these fun recipes and summer essential oil tips are helpful! Now go have some summertime fun! And if you need help getting started with these amazing oils, feel free to book a coffee chat with me... I'm happy to help!